5/15/2010

Sputnik Sweetheart


This is the piece I created for the ROOM TO READ fundraising event, which happened last night.

It was a pretty interesting event.
Since the admission was $150, the crowds seemed a little different from the ones I've known.
I felt that Ziggy Marleyt played a little too shortly, but over all I enjoyed it.

About 2 weeks ago, I was asked to create an art piece based on my favorite book just for this event. So, I picked "The Sputnik Sweetheart" by Haruki Murakami. I am a big fan of Murakami's work, and this is one of my favorites though I don't think this is one of his most popular novels.
The biggest inspiration was his beautiful depiction of the loneliness of a person, which is symbolized by the metaphor of the Sputnik satellites orbiting at a distance from the earth quietly.

I sometimes wonder, when I see a group of trees or a crowd of people, how they feel or what they think and on what purpose they live, and whether or not they are trying to support each other or trying to live alone.

Anyway, I am glad that the person who bought this piece said he also liked Murakami's books.



” 彼らは孤独な金属の塊として、さえぎるものもない宇宙の暗黒の中でふとめぐり会い、すれ違い、そして永遠に別れていくのだ。かわす言葉もなく、結ぶ約束もなく。” (スプートニクの恋人、村上春樹)




No comments: